Friday, January 15, 2010

y r u talking like dat?

Digital technologies, specifically the internet as a forum for communication, have begun to change the English language in very specific and very unique ways. During our in-class computer activity, Diane noted that these technologies seem to signify the downfall of standard English and the rise of some other, trendier version of it. Another commenter argued that the use of non-standard English on the internet likely resulted through contributions to the conversation by participants who had little or no access to the type of upbringing that would have provided them fluency in Standard English to begin with. While I do think that Standard English gets pushed aside in popular forums of digital communication (texting, Facebook commenting, commenting on YouTube videos, etc.), I don’t think this phenomenon means more than the favoring of non-standard English dialects on the black top at recess or in malls and teen hangouts on weekends. What does seem different, though, is seeing this type of non-standard dialect in print.

I like to think of the digital age as offering to us a type of pidgin language that unites participants from a variety of walks of life. We ought to look at these collisions as positive, potential opportunities for the generation of new ideas and new conversations. I don’t think, however, that Standard English is doomed (or any more doomed than it would be without the internet). A time and place for the use of Standard English still exists, and spell check and access to online dictionaries and thesauri seem to underscore its importance.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jasmine,
    I tried to post this comment on Thomas' site, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm posting it on yours. Thanks! Diane
    I worry that the revolution has now become "ingrained in our bodies," as Foucault says. Is computer technology now taken for granted as an inborn knowledge and need in our society? Is it so accepted that we no longer quesiton the validity of technology as it affects our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. this is take two for me too, only I tried on your sight. Anyway, I like your choice of words. "Collisions" seems appropriate because of the speed in communication that technology now offers us, and seeing new technology as offering positive possibilities is always a good idea. We're swimming in a new part of the ocean these days, and maybe, with a positive outlook, the water will become clearer.

    OK. If this doesn't go through, I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's you, Gerry! And I'm confirming... I got it! We're starting to navigate these seas with a bit more ease, huh? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "navigate these seas with a bit more ease"!? That is goddamn poetic, and I'm going to use it in a song sometime -- hope you don't mind. And yeah, it's me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe. Of course, borrow away. No copyright here!

    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete